The Research Center on Water Engineering Safety and Disaster Prevention of the Ministry of Water Resources (RCES) is supported jointly by the Changjiang River Scientific Research Institute (CRSRI) and the Changjiang Institute of Survey, Planning, Design and Research of Changjiang Water Resources Commission. The competent authority is the Ministry of Water Resources and the decision-making department is the Management Commission of Research Center on Engineering Safety and New Material of the Ministry of Water Resources.
There are four research divisions: division of safety management technology, division of safety evaluation technology, division of safety monitoring and hidden danger detection technology and division of consultant and treatment of defective engineering.
(1) To carry out the macroscopic and strategic research on water engineering safety for providing technical support on overall policy decision for the government；to structure management information platform of water engineering safety management for supplying technical service to safety management of water engineering.
(2) To organize the significant research program and to research and develop the key technology on water engineering safety.
(3) To carry out the compilation and revise of concerned specifications
(4) To disseminate and apply new technology and new products.
(5) To train technician and managerial staff on water engineering safety.
(6) To carry out domestic and international cooperation to track the front science and technology on water engineering safety.
(7) To carry out the safety assessment, appraisal, inspection, monitoring, detection, test and consultation service about water engineering.
(8) To undertake other tasks from the Ministry of Water Resources.
Major research and development fields:
(1) Detecting technology of hidden danger and defect in water engineering.
(2) Safety monitoring technology of water engineering.
(3) Safety assessment technology of structure and foundation.
(4) Safety assessment technology of seepage.
(5) Technology of safety management and informationization.
(6) Treatment technology of defective engineering.